Help tame London’s traffic by submitting apps that can help reduce congestion on the city’s streets.
If you’ve ever spent time on the streets of London, you know how frustrating and expensive the experience can be. Navigating central London while surrounded by motorbikes, taxis, public transportation vehicles, cyclists—not to mention other drivers—is something that few find much joy in, and many work hard to avoid.
Ford Motor Company is working to change this by challenging developers around the world to submit new or existing software applications that have the potential to assist in reducing traffic congestion on London streets and add value to London drivers.
Have a generic traffic app? Apps are not required to use London data specifically, but must benefit London drivers, commuters, and pedestrians.
- Get inspired. Explore app ideas and Ford’s “Blueprint for Mobility.”
- Impact the Problem. How can your app(s) be used to help traffic congestion in London?
- Brainstorm. What apps can you create that might help reduce congestion? Could an app that "talks" to a car's sensors add value to London pedestrians, drivers, and other commuters? What about better public transit or parking? Or perhaps that brilliant idea that you've been mulling over?
- Check out Ford's OpenXC platform. OpenXC is an open source API to your car that runs on a combination of Arduino and Android. Consider how it enhances your app, or how it could enhance a future iteration of your app. (No specific API, SDK, or data integration is required in this competition, however, the use of Ford's OpenXC platform is encouraged.)
- Decide: enter an existing app, update it, or build from scratch?
- Start your draft today. Begin filling out your application now so that you don't feel rushed as the deadline approaches. Even if you don't have all the details yet, you can choose the "Save as Draft" option and come back to it later.
$25,000 in prizes
OpenXC Integration Prize
Awarded at the discretion of the Judges to the app that demonstrates the most outstanding creativity, user experience, or other remarkable qualities AND integrates the OpenXC platform.
Large Organization Recognition Award
Non-cash, recognition only for Large Organizations
This challenge is open to: Most individuals around the world; Teams of individuals; Organizations.
See official rules for details.
- Submit a working app that can be used to reduce traffic congestion on city streets. (I.e., Apps are not required to include London-specific data specifically, but must benefit London drivers, commuters, and pedestrians.)
- Make sure your app is safe. Apps must conform to In-Vehicle Approval Criteria from Ford for safe and non-distracting in-vehicle interfaces if the intent is to use the app while driving. For more information, see the national generally accepted principles for in-vehicle interfaces.
- Create a demonstration video (YouTube or Vimeo) that includes footage that walks through and clearly explains your app’s features and functionality.
- Describe how your application can help reduce congestion in London and potentially assist London drivers, pedestrians, and residents. If possible, please also explain how Ford’s OpenXC platform enhances, or could enhance a future iteration of your app.
- Provide a way for us to access your app by including an installation file with your submission, sharing a test build, or by providing a URL where your app can be accessed for testing and judging.
- Submit your app by providing: 1) access to your app for testing; 2) screenshots of your working app; 3) a video (YouTube/Vimeo) demonstrating your working app.
Platforms: We’re accepting apps that run any of the following devices: Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows Phone smartphones/tablets, web/mobile web browsers, or Windows/Mac desktop computers.
K. Venkatesh Prasad
Senior Technical Leader, Open Innovation - Ford Motor Company
Andreas W. Schäfer
Professor of Energy and Transport - University College London
Partner - Index Ventures
Chief Technical Officer and Vice President - Ford Research and Innovation
Manager – Advanced Product Group & Business Planning, Ford Motor Company
Instigator | Advisor - Ford Motor Company
Editor - Tech Radar Pro
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality of the idea.
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer.
Includes the potential impact and value provided to London drivers, pedestrians, and residents.